Translate

' Remaining as Rigpa '...


Dzogchen teacher, Namkhai Norbu was talking to a group of students in 1986, at a retreat I attended. They were asking him about various mantras they could use as protection against evil yogis and other negative power sources.

He then explained in great detail which mantras to use in these types of cases, which include these entities in our bodies. When finished explaining, he and I sat alone.

I was completely astounded at his offering antidotes against these negative powers. I said “Isn’t it easier and more powerful to just to remain in/as rigpa?”.

He smiled slyly and said “of course!”. I immediately cracked up and he started laughing with me for about five minutes, when he went back into the retreat tent and began teaching again to about 75 of us.

I followed him in a few minutes later, but laughing uncontrollably. He started laughing again, and the whole tent of attendees started laughing too. But they never knew why Norbu and I were laughing.

The point is from the perspective of Dzogchen, resting as rigpa is that awareness which needs no mantras for protection as its invulnerable, can’t be influenced as it is always “untouched” by all energies, thoughts and negative powers.

Rigpa is the impersonal Awareness, like a mirror which no reflections ever touch. It’s only the egoic mind that seeks protection for its imaginary self from these entities.



-Jackson Peterson

No comments: