Translate

. ' Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya '...

Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya Depiction of Rabi'a grinding grain from a Persian dictionary..................................... Rabi'a al-'Adawiyya or Rabia of Basra (died 801) was a mystic who represents countercultural elements of Sufism, especially with regards to the status and power of women. Prominent Sufi leader Hasan of Basra is said to have castigated himself before her superior merits and sincere virtues.[184] Rabi'a was born of very poor origin, but was captured by bandits at a later age and sold into slavery. She was however released by her master when he awoke one night to see the light of sanctity shining above her head.[185] Rabi'a al-Adawiyya is known for her teachings and emphasis on the centrality of the love of God to a holy life.[186] She is said to have proclaimed, running down the streets of Basra, Iraq:....................................... O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell, and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise. But if I worship You for Your Own sake, grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty. .................... Rabi'a al-Adawiyya

No comments: