Translate

No one has seen God and lived...

No one has seen God and lived. To see God we must be non-existent.

Bowl of Saki, January 5, by Hazrat Inayat Khan




Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

There is a [Hadith] which says: Mutu kubla anta mutu, which means, 'Die before
death.' A poet says, 'Only he attains to the peace of the Lord who loses
himself.' God said to Moses, 'No man shall see me and live.' To see God we must
be non-existent.

What does all this mean? It means that when we see our being with open eyes, we
see that there are two aspects to our being: the false and the true. The false
life is that of the body and mind, which only exists as long as the life is
within. In the absence of that life the body cannot go on. We mistake the true
life for the false, and the false for the true.

As life unfolds itself to man the first lesson it teaches is humility; the first
thing that comes to man's vision is his own limitedness. The vaster God appears
to him, the smaller he finds himself. This goes on and on until the moment comes
when he loses himself in the vision of God. In terms of the Sufis this is called
fana, and it is this process that was taught by Christ under the name of
self-denial. Often man interprets this teaching wrongly and considers
renunciation as self-denial. He thinks that the teaching is to renounce all that
is in the world. But although that is a way and an important step which leads to
true self-denial, the self-denial meant is the losing oneself in God.

The first lesson of the mystic is, "Thou art, and not I." It is not only
complete surrender to God, it is self-effacement. And what does the symbol of
the cross explain? That "Thou art, not me, my hands are not for me, my feet are
not for me, my head is not for me, they are all Thine." The saying of the
[Hadith], "Die before death," does not mean suicide, it means the death of the
"I", the separate self.

No comments: