Translate

The wisdom of Edgar Allan Poe...

A strong argument for the religion of Christ is this - that offences against Charity are about the only ones which men on their death-beds can be made - not to understand - but to feel - as crime.

All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.


Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Experience has shown, and a true philosophy will always show, that a vast, perhaps the larger portion of the truth arises from the seemingly irrelevant.

I am above the weakness of seeking to establish a sequence of cause and effect, between the disaster and the atrocity.


I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.


I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.


I have, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect - in terror.


I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.

No comments: