Translate

I Am - transcribed Adyashanti talk

To me one of the greatest teachings of the whole Christian message in Christ's life himself centers around a very very simple idea. It's the idea called I am. If you get I am, you get the whole message. If you don't get I am, you've missed the entire message. So to the human consciousness, I am always refers to a historical figure. Something in time and space. Something you can point to. Most human beings in their human state of consciousness, even when they think of I am about themselves, they think about the body, the mind, what they think, what they feel, what they imagine, what they believe. Human consciousness always takes the I am and makes it into something concrete. And of course, this is what is really meant by the I am becoming historical. It becomes about something you can grasp and think about and talk about. To me, when I started my sort of love affair, in a certain sense, with Christ, it was sort of this historical way too. It was very much tied to a particular person at a particular place in time because that would fit my consciousness as a very young child. It was reflective of where my consciousness was and we are all only capable of seeing things from our state of consciousness. Very important to remember that. You're only capable of seeing things based on and from your current state of consciousness. That's why we tend to interpret everything down to our level. We interpret everything down to our own consciousness because really we don't have any choice until our consciousness changes and then everything looks different. An yet, the whole Christian message, in a sense, is this message that's based around "I am." Understanding. Not just understanding with the mind, that's of very little value. Understanding in the sense of a direct realization. Literally an awakening out of human consciousness to spiritual consciousness, one could say.



Jesus himself mentions this many many times. One of the great wonderful sayings from the Gospel of Thomas is Jesus saying this: "One who knows everything else but does not know himself, knows nothing." That's a pretty good summation of modern times. We know so much, at least we think we know so much. The modern human mind now has so many facts stuffed in it than it did 2,000 years ago. I mean it had a lot then, you realize nothing much changes, you know, just the scenery. But there is so much knowledge and of course, even many in the world of spirituality have this thought "if I could just understand more, if I could cram more spiritual knowledge into my brain then that will help me find God, or awaken to my true nature, awaken to the One and here it is, you know, 2000 years ago Jesus saying "One who knows everything but who does not know himself, knows nothing." It's quite a statement. It's another thing that happens when we do not see this gift of teaching of Christ in its true light. Christ has been made, by and large, to fit what is comfortable for human beings. Which makes Christ into a nice comfy God illuminated guy being. But if you really look at the message of Christ, this is not true at all. This was a full blooded sage, an absolute spiritual and cultural revolutionary of the highest order. It does not fit in well and it never did fit in well as his life proved never did fit in well and never does fit in well with the conventional ideas of the limited human consciousness. We keep dummying down Christ to our level. To a human level. When we miss, this was somebody that was out to awaken humanity. Make no mistake about it, this was a being who was out to awaken humanity and it got him killed. So when we see the power that is actually inherent there, in the teaching, in who he was, this was someone of great great spiritual vitality. This is someone as true spiritual awakening often is didn't fit in, as I say, it ended up getting him crucified. Because it didn't fit into the conventional human understanding of who we are and what God is. This is someone who was actually pushing outside that boundary, pushing outside the conventional boundary. Someone who actually work up from the conventional boundary who had realized the truth of their being and was speaking about it.

No comments: